How to access in USB physical hard disk from VM in HYPER-V
With Virtual Machines the use of physical hard disks and USB reduce. But still sometimes maybe need to use a Hard disk from a Virtual Machine to create a bottable disk with WinPe or different tasks that request from Virtual Machine to has direct accrss in a physical hard disk.
Last week i must create a bootable hard disk with WinPe. I didn't have a Physical PC to do it. SO i create a Virtual Machine but when i came accross with the specific request to be honest i stack.
Let's explain step by step how can do it it in few clicks if have a similar request and you don't want to search hours for the solution.
- Plug the USB Drive in the HYPER-V Host
- Right click in the start and select Disk Management
- Find the Disk that corresponds to USB Drive
- From the top right click in the Disk of Usb Drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
- Select the Drive letter and click Remove.
- Now go down where you can see Tables with the size of the Disk and with right click in the left side select Offline.
- Be sure that when the Disk goes Offline it will appear a red arrow.
- Now open the HYPER-V Manager and select the Virtual Machine that you want to have direct access in USB Drive
- From the right side click Settings
- From the left side select SCSI Controller
- Select Hard drive and click Add
- Instead of Virtual Hard disk select Physical hard disk and click the arrow to find the USB Drive
- Click OK
- Login now in Virtual Machine and open the Disk Management.
- Find the Disk that is Offline
- Right click and select Online
- Open My Computer and you can see a second Disk which is the Disk that bring Online
Now you can do anything that you want like a USB Drive that you have plugged in your PC.
Note that you can't do this with USB Flash drive because it's not support to take offline .
I hope to find usefull the article
Have a nice weekend